Head of Procurement (W&S) – GÉANT
Are you interested in driving value and innovation in an international environment? You will have the opportunity to lead an established team of procurement experts and enjoy an international and collaborative working environment. This role is extremely varied, and you will be able to add real value.
For the international Association GÉANT, AevesBenefit is looking for a:
Head of Procurement (Amsterdam – Cambridge)
GÉANT is an association of members with operations managed through its legal entity in the Netherlands and branch in the United Kingdom. They offer a blazing-fast, cutting-edge network that connects scientists, researchers and academics across Europe and the world. Thanks to their terabit network, 50 million researchers, scientists, academics and students can share record volumes of data unconstrained by location, solving some of mankind’s biggest challenges.The organisation installs, maintains and improves (dark) fibre networks, combined with IT infrastructure and services. Its core function is to provide the NRENs (National Research and Education Networks like SURFnet) with a private networking service operating at speeds of up to 100Gbps to support research and education. GÉANT also works to extend high performance access to countries and regions that do not currently have access, in order to support truly global collaboration.
With approximately 150 staff based in Cambridge and Amsterdam, GÉANT manages research and education networking projects serving Europe, the Mediterranean, Africa and Central Asia. In addition, it supports research and education networking organisations in Latin America, the Caribbean and Asia-Pacific, coordinates a Europe-China collaboration and nurtures relationships with counterparts in North America. The GÉANT Procurement team is fundamental to success in procuring the best solutions and services for the delivery of research and education networking projects whilst maintaining compliance with EU procurement rules.
Procurement is regarded as a key asset by GÉANT and the Head of Procurement will be able to add real value. You have the chance to come and work with an established team of seven procurement experts, enjoying an environment of collaborative working and challenge. You will manage a spend of approximately €30 million per annum, focussing on complex procurement strategies and collaborating with all of GÉANT’s international partners. You will lead the team in collaborative international projects, working with colleagues from NRENs around the world, in a role never lacking in variety. You will have a chance to make an important contribution and a real difference in accomplishing GÉANT’s goals.
Being based in the Amsterdam office, you report to the Chief Financial Officer in Cambridge and will lead the procurement team which is based at both sites. The team is responsible for ensuring that procurement activity is completed in accordance with EC Directive 2014/2024 (public assignments) with a focus on wholesale telecommunications, cloud and IT infrastructure goods and services. Primarily you will:
- Maintain integrated planning with service leads and ensure the continued application of category management to support the business and the alignment of procurement team resource.
- Lead and develop a team of procurement experts, by motivating and inspiring.
- Oversee procurement activity undertaken by members of the procurement team. Challenge activities and proposals to ensure optimal risk management and commercial outcomes whilst maintaining compliance.
- Develop and implement systems, policies and processes to support efficient procurement practice and compliance.
- Act as a procurement ambassador to senior stakeholders.
- Liaise with the finance function: supporting budget planning activity; validating financial efficacy of arrangements; and evidencing compliance with third party audits.
- Manage the continued development of GÉANT as a centralised purchasing body.
- Supported by external legal counsel, where required, develop commercial agreements to support supply and sale of products and services under multiple legal jurisdictions.
- Architect the overall GÉANT procurement strategy and structure for material agreements.
- Ensure compliance with the EC Directive 2014/2024 and regulations in relation to the movement of international goods for all the activities under GÉANT’s responsibility.
- Other duties as may reasonably be required.
In this senior management position you will work closely with C-Level executives and a great variety of international stakeholders from different countries and cultures. You will need to have strong stakeholder management, people and communication skills, in order to build and maintain relationships. With experience in complex public procurement projects, you will understand how to drive innovation and value. You’re great at problem solving and decision making, improving and innovating with customer focus. You’re self-motivated, result oriented and a strong team player. Furthermore, you will need to have:
- A bachelor or master’s degree.
- Preferably a certification in procurement.
- Significant experience in running high value procurement assignments under the EC Directive 2014/2024.
- Desirable IT and telecoms category experience.
- Experience working in complex organizational structures.
- A minimum of five years of leadership experience.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- The ability to create and propagate a long-term vision in a demanding and highly specialised environment.
- Well-developed presentation and influencing skills.
- Work at GÉANT and you’ll be supporting critical research into sustainable energy, deep space, high energy physics, earth observation, environmental disasters, medicine and more!
- You’ll be offered an attractive salary and benefits.
- You will be mainly traveling within Europe, with approximately 20 trips per year.
Are you interested or do you have any questions? Please contact Boudewijn Meijs at +31 6 52850540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you the person we are looking for for this position? Then apply directly via the “Solliciteren” button below!